20160210_154522
20160210_154522

What have I been up to recently? Well, remember the hand carved medal I was talking about in my last post.  I just spent another hectic week redoing it alongside working on my new valentines project. You may have noticed in the pictures I posted previously, there was a bit of a difference between the quality of the front and the back of the medal. As I’m sure you can guess, all my time and effort went into the front of it and I had to rush the back. I was pretty unhappy with what was supposed to be the newly anticipated V and A but was lucky enough to get the chance to recast it. I will go on to explain the casting process in my next post but for now all you need to know is that the original carved piece of wax along with the mould for the casting are both destroyed during the casting process. So to save me going completely crazy recarving the front, with help from Roddy in the general workshop, I made a silicone mould from my bronze medal.  Now equipped with a silicone mould of the front, I was able create a new wax medal ready for me to redo the back! I'm very pleased with how it has turned out, on the left is the new improved version and on the right is my first attempt.

Now all that's left is to get my medal ready for posting off to the British Arts Medal Society for their competition.